Monday, May 23, 2011

Sigh, I've Forgotten To Write Again & How I Feel About Moving

So I see that my last post was in March. It's now May. I suppose that isn't a very long time, considering my gap last year, but it does feel as though I haven't updated this in ages. I'm 18 now, and graduating in June. I recently attended Prom with one of my close friends in Maryland, along with another girl it was fun to get to know and my closest guy friend. Amidst the end of the school year/preparing to graduate stuff is the getting ready to move stuff. We're moving to San Antonio, Texas, the one state I hoped to never enter. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against the state, the south, or the people. I just hate heat. With a passion. Maybe it's because I'm a ginger, maybe it's because I'm allergic to sunscreen, maybe it's because I'm Alaskan, or maybe it's because I've just always overheated easily. Whatever the case, I'm moving to one of the hottest places I can think of in the middle of summer.

Despite my fear of moving to the capital of heat, I'm completely fine with moving. Maryland is one of those places that feels like it's in between. I didn't love England, but I was glad for the opportunities it presented, some of the people, and things I learned there. England was a verse, a chapter. Maryland feels like a bridge between verses, or a note between chapters. It doesn't feel like it has it's own place. I have made good friends here. I have a nice group I enjoy spending time with, I have a close friend I enjoy talking to, I know the sweetest freshman on the planet, and I have my best guy friend ever. I've also earned 63 college credits here, and one of my closest friends from Alaska lives less than an hour away. So why does Maryland not feel like a chapter to me? Why does it seem as though it's only a stepping stone to the next place? Perhaps it's that we've not been here even two years yet, and it seems short. I get the feeling, however, that even three or four years would not make Maryland more to me. No matter Maryland's status to me as a bridge or a note or however best to explain it, it is significant. A song is not complete without a bridge, and a book is missing details without chapter prefaces and notes. I'm fine with leaving, and I almost feel like leaving might be a catalyst into something much better, even if I do have to leave people behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment