Thursday, May 26, 2011

Packed Out & Thoughts On Doctor Who

I'm looking at the room I've resided in for the past two years. Not even two years, actually. The walls are bare of my copious posters and clippings and such, and everything is in boxes. Really, the room looks naked. Today was the third day of packing, and tomorrow the big truck will come and take away the boxes and whatever furniture is left to pack. We aren't leaving town quite yet, I still have graduation. Today, amidst the chaos, the five year old girl that lives next door came over to give me a picture of us that she drew, with a note telling me how much she'll miss me. She's a really sweet girl, and she gave me a hug and looked crushed that I was leaving. I have a friend who's been saying she'll cry the day I leave, and another one who telling me she'll miss me, but somehow it's not nearly as powerful as this little girl giving me a going away gift, a picture of us. It gave me something to think about today as all my things were put in nondescript brown boxes.

On a lighter note, and probably less introspective, I have some thoughts on Doctor Who so far this year. Series 6 has been many things, and only five episodes have aired so far. It's been shocking, startling, funny, confusing, and very fast. The entire series so far has moved at a rapid fire pace, and it can be hard to absorb it all. The opening two parter was very interesting. The Impossible Astronaut was quite the set up. It had it's moments, but mostly it just prepared us for Day Of The Moon, which was amazing, but mostly shocking. Then came Curse Of The Black Spot, which was a very interesting episode. It can also be said to be meh. It just didn't rock the world. However, the most wonderful episode of the series so far, The Doctor's Wife, more than made up for it's predecessor's failings. It was completely and utterly brilliant. The most recent episode, The Rebel Flesh, reminds me of The Impossible Astronaut in that it feels very much like a set up episode. The Almost People, it's sequel, will hopefully make it's counterpart worth it. Time will tell what all the mysteries of series six are culminating towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment