Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A quirk I happen to have (or, How I almost killed my brother)

Ever since I can remember, I have absolutely despised wet paper. I refuse to carry tissues around with me, I refrain from paper towel use if I can use something else, and if something gets spilled on paper, I throw it out as soon as possible. My family apparently didn't know this until early at dinner. I'm sure we've had such instances  before, but for whatever reason this quirk was new to them. I looked up from my dinner to see my brother sucking on a straw wrapper. He used to eat paper as a little kid, and that has always made me physically nauseous. I never throw up, so when I get the feeling that I'm going to its doubly more unpleasant than it would be to someone prone to that kind of physical reaction. I have to be excessively violently ill for it to happen. Anyway, at dinner I immediately expressed my displeasure and asked him to stop and get rid of his wrapper. Its a common occurrence when we go out to eat that my brother will try and shoot his straw wrapper at me, which is something I despise in close relation to my wet paper quirk. As soon as I revealed that I was feeling physically ill, my mother and brother both decided that I had serious issues and this was hilarious. My brother went so far as to take the straw wrappers home with him, and was not five minutes ago sucking on one in front of me. This is not unusual behavior for him, as he also likes to sharpen the knives because he knows the sound pains me. Tell me, is it unreasonable for me to ask that actions that make me ill or in pain be refrained from? 

I suppose I should qualify this by assuring everybody that I do love my brother, and we don't always fight. There is, however, a direct correlation between my level of patience and his desire to annoy. Though, what sibling relationship doesn't have such a correlation at some point in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment